Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Stuff That Sausage! Or, Mushroom Appreciation Day

When I was a little girl, there were several vegetables I would not under any circumstances allow in my food. My parents tried to sneak them in to sauces, chopping up onions, chives or mushrooms into tiny bits in an attempt to dissuade me from my oh-so-healthy diet of macaroni and cheese. No matter how small the diced veggies were, I could taste them a mile away. "This has onion in it!" I would cry angrily, and proceed to pout for the rest of the meal. (What a charmer.) Mostly I've come to realize that my disgust for onions and mushrooms came from the texture ("too crunchy, too rubbery, get it away from me," etc).

This might be why my parents are still shocked to the core whenever I eat onions or mushrooms (often). I will add grilled onions to almost any dish and ever since my adventures grilling with Quinn and Daniel I've been doing the same with mushrooms. I add sliced white mushrooms to my healthier version of Fettuccini Alfredo, recreate my goat cheese & shiitake omelet from John O'Groats, and sautee large portobello caps in the balsamic-dijon marinade Daniel came up with.  The other night I  took my mushroom obsession a step further. As I sipped on some girlie moscato white wine and danced around in my kitchen with Scream 2 on in the background, I made sinfully bites of sheer happiness: stuffed mushrooms.
Ingredients: (serves 1-2)

4 medium portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp goat cheese (optional)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
olive oil 
salt & pepper to taste
Calories: 260 per mushroom

In my quest to use mushrooms in every possible dish, I learned that it's best not to wash mushrooms but merely pat them dry. Once you've done this, cut out the stems of the portobellos. Dice stems, onion, and garlic.

(pre-baked)

Sautee onions first in a few tablespoons of olive oil until soft, and then add the mushrooms and garlic. Brown the sausage in the onion-garlic-mushroom mixture and turn off the heat. Stir in cheese and bread crumbs.

Prepare a baking sheet and stuff portobellos with the mixture. (You can add extra parmesan or bread crumbs on top to create a nice, flaky topping.) Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven. Let cool for a few minutes, and then go to town! I had 2 of these for dinner and 2 for lunch. The mushrooms were surprisingly filling for only a few bites each!



Mmmmmmmmm. My addiction will no doubt continue. What's your favorite way to eat mushrooms?
 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...