Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cheap Eats: Taqueria Jalisco


One of the perks of moving back to Los Angeles (after swearing I'd never return) is the abundance of what I like to call the cheap eats of LA. Scattered all around the city are tiny gems of flavor you'd never know where there unless you stumbled upon them or heard about them from a reliable source. My source, as you may know, is my boyfriend, a native of East LA and seemingly an expert on all the little tastes I've unknowingly been craving.

Taqueria Jalisco is another cash-only spot nestled on Washington Blvd. They open at 7:30am, even on weekends, and some avid fans of their $1 taco stand out front or authentic $4 tortas can be found in line before they've cleared their doors. Their salsa bar comes with all the standards, pico de gallo, verde, roja, ranchera, along with the sweet bite of an avocado salsa that should not be skipped. 

Quinn scarfed down a torta al pastor, layered with the right combination of cilantro, onion, lettuce, tomato, and a drizzle of lime. Always on the lookout for the perfect quesadilla, I also went the pastor route, with artfully blackened tortilla, a gooey blend of Mexican cheeses, and avocado on the side. I was in heaven -- only $8 for two perfect pastor meals? Yes please!

Taqueria Jalisco
4744 W. Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90016

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My philosophy is that if it's cash only then it must be good. They know people will still eat there despite the inconvenience... (unless it's in some good court of course, like in the basement of DC's Union Station, yuck)

Im craving authentic Mexican now... not easy to find around here.

Siena said...

The best tacos I have ever had in my entire life are from a joint called Cactus on Vine St. (near Santa Monica Blvd). They have ruined all other tacos for me. You should totally review this place--it's like, a stand in the parking lot of a Mexican grocery store. HA. But so delicious. I recommend the carne asada tacos, straight up. They're spicy. It's on the other side of town from you, but when you get a chance, you should totally do that. LOVE YOU.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...