Monday, February 7, 2011

Oh My Macaroons!


On a cloudy morning in Los Angeles, one of my favorite ways to wake up is to go out for breakfast. Quinn and I popped over to La Provence, a bakery and breakfast café in Beverly Hills. We’ve had omelets there before, some of the best I’ve had to date, so when my goat cheese, artichoke and Portobello mushroom came sans cheese, I was a bit surprised. Quinn’s feta, tomato and basil was a fresh take on a classic, and their roasted potatoes topped with wild mushrooms and sautéed onions are always superb.

We discovered after finishing though, that La Provence is better marketed as a bakery than a restaurant. The array of expertly decorated cupcakes, crispy crème brulée and bright macaroons called softly out to me, and I quickly succumbed. Although the rose, lavender and pistachio flavored French treats were flashier, Quinn and I settled on testing chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and coffee.


Oh sweet pastries. Each cookie was tailored to its own flavor. Vanilla, light and velvety, was absolute heaven, while chocolate had all the richness of a grandmother's brownie. Like a fresh cup with a splash of milk, coffee was Quinn’s pick. Surprisingly, my favorite was something I don’t normally go for: caramel. Topped with crushed peanut brittle, the pastry’s saltiness balanced the sweetness of the caramel just right. The slightest of crisps on the outside layer gave way to the creamy inside, and thus, an addiction was born.

La Provence
1677 San Vicente Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90049

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...