Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Healthy Eats: M Street Kitchen

Since I moved into my own apartment a few months ago, my mom and I try to see a movie or have dinner once a week to play catch up. It's been fun to explore Santa Monica for new restaurants to try, especially with so many Californian cuisine options. Westside locals are hot for anything organic, vegan or diet friendly, and M Street Kitchen is no exception.

At the edge of the oh-so-hip Main Street just minutes from my apartment, M Street Kitchen has heated outdoor seating and a cozy, layered indoor area. Our sinewy, dread-locked waiter had to have been a model and paid the utmost attention to us despite the place being packed. I had a glass of the riesling (my standby) and my mom found a jazzed-up version of her favorite drink, "Shakin' Lemonade": ketel one, lemonade, and rosemary served in a jar (how very LA).

We decided to split a few things, as their menu of salads, starters, burgers and soft tacos were too tempting to settle on just one. I couldn't avoid my recent obsession with sushi (1, 2, 3) and ordered my usual spicy tuna roll. Next time I definitely want to try one of their fancier picks, like the miso-glazed salmon roll or even an apsparagus roll with caramelized onion. The sushi was soft and cold, something I've discovered is extremely important. (Just think about it -- warm sushi? No thanks.)

The sonoma salad consists of butter leaf lettuce, beets, almonds, asparagus, goat cheese and cherry tomatoes. I'm generally not a huge salad fan, but the butter leaf lettuce went well with some of my favorite ingredients. For our entree we split one of the specials, halibut with root vegetables. It was good, but we wished we'd worried less about calories and more about taste. I've got my eye on the Ahi Tuna Burger, packed with avocado, tomato and chipotle mayo. 


To make up for this lapse in judgment, we decided to try a banana peanut butter pie... bananas are healthy, right? A buttery crust enveloped the sumptuous, creamy middle. I know what I want to recreate next... pure bliss! My mom and I discovered our forks in a heated battle over the last pieces, sure sign of a winner.


Moderately priced, especially for Santa Monica, M Street Kitchn also offer ans entire menu of gluten-free choices, as well as several vegan meals on the menu (tofu-chorizo, anyone?). I also stopped in for Father's Day Breakfast last weekend and, though I was too sleepy to take photos, I had possibly the best french toast I've ever tasted. This place is too close not to take advantage of, and I recommend it for anyone looking for a hip, healthy meal.

2000 Main St.
Santa Monica, CA
(310) 396-9145

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...