Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sunday Morning Chocolate Chip Muffins

As a little girl I longed to be a "grown up" for several reasons.

 
1.) I could read whatever I wanted, when I wanted -- at the dinner table, in the middle of the night, during PE, or even in the bath tub.

2.) I dreamed that the whole "ugly duckling to swan" transformation would finally be complete. My knobby knees and grasshopper limbs were  kindly deemed my "awkward stage" by parents and teachers after I sprouted to 5'9" before entering high school. The prince charmings and snarky teen heartthrobs that I so longed for would someday be mine -- if only I would "grow into my body" already.

3.) As a grown up, I could eat anything I wanted. Granted, at this point in my life my pallet was  substantially limited. My dream menu would have consisted of mac 'n' cheese, mac 'n' cheese, and, yes, mac 'n' cheese. Despite the odd treat here and there, the only other food that eluded my grasp was chocolate chip muffins. The grocery store near my school offered exquisite specimens, with crispy tops and soft, supple bottoms. Occasionally my mom would let me have one for breakfast. I gingerly nibbled on them like a furtive rodent, hoping to save that fleeting feeling of chocolate for breakfast as long as possible.

Now that I am, in fact, what I once perceived as grown up, I may do many of the things I dreamed of. Reading in the bathtub remains one of my favorite past times, and though my awkward stage lasted longer than I'd hoped I have come to terms with my stature.

Last weekend I decided to make muffins for a post-birthday party morning hangover cure. Yes, I still crave muffins for breakfast. These were like a chocolate chip cookie in muffin form -- simple and sweet.

Ingredients

2 cups flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
1 tsp salt 

Mix butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet and beat on low. Add milk and continue to mix until light and frothy. Fold in chocolate chips.

Divide  batter evenly in 12 paper lined muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with chocolate chips. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...