Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quinn's Focaccia Sandwich


This weekend brought all sorts of changes: Quinn's move up to Santa Barbara, an additional food section for Culinary Therapy, and a flashy new camera! That's right, no more grainy iPhone photos. After weeks of research and deliberation I bought myself a Sony Nex-5 and am thrilled to play with my new toy. I welcome tips and suggestions from any and all photographers with open arms.

Also, please welcome to the blog: Weekend Getaways! As I plan to take brief jaunts up the coast to see Quinn in Santa Barbara and explore the restaurants in surrounding areas, I thought I might as well be productive during my trips. With such gems as Goleta's La Super Rica and Solvang's famed Chinese food, I have my work cut out for me. 

Saturday morning Quinn and I perused the Farmers' Market in downtown Santa Barbara. The county is known for its fresh produce and daily markets, inspiring me to spend more time at my own neighborhood venue. Quinn picked out a heirloom tomatoes, pluots (apricot and plum's love child), and a stunning herb focaccia. He lovingly designed an addictive end-of-summer sandwich we nibbled on all weekend.


Quinn's Focaccia Sandwich


Ingredients:
  • fresh focaccia (check out the farmer's markets in your area!)
  • fire roasted red and yellow peppers (Trader Joe's carries)
  • herb Chevre goat cheese
  • fresh basil 
  • red onion
Directions:
Slice a piece of the focaccia off, however large or small you want your sandwich to be, and then in half. Spread a generous amount of goat cheese on one side of the bread (the focaccia and red onion can be overpowering).

(click to enlarge)

Add two or three leaves of basil and thinly sliced red onion. Chop your peppers in strips and add to on top. Feel free to do two layers of onion so they don't get lost in the other flavors. Put the sandwich together and enjoy! 

We had these for lunch on Saturday, dipped some of the focaccia in balsamic vinegar later for a snack, and had even more the next day for a beach picnic. The fresh bread truly makes a huge difference; I'll be looking for my own at the Santa Monica Farmers' Market this weekend!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...